So, Who Did Discover America?

For discussion on international politics and world affairs.
Archer
Forum Framer

Re: So, Who Did Discover America?

Postby Archer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:03 am

Crepitus wrote:
Archer wrote:
Crepitus wrote:Native Americans are believed to have descended from northeast Asia, arriving over a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska some 12,000 years ago and then migrating across North and South America. My guess is they discovered America. Colonized it too.

They discovered nothing because they had no idea what it was they found.

Imagine a gold mine and those mining were after the rocks because they did not know what gold was.

Lol, a great many important discoveries and such have been made by accident. These people were looking for a new place to live . I think they knew what they had found.

Actually not, they did not discover anything because they did not have the same concepts of ownership and property as we do. They were here first but that does not mean it was discovered by them.

How about we agree to say nobody discovered America because it was inhabited by migrants that simply walked here?

Columbus discovered a route to get to lands that the Europeans had not found.

UncleRansom

Postby UncleRansom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:26 am

Archer wrote:Imagine a gold mine and those mining were after the rocks because they did not know what gold was.

Our American Indian a perfect example. Gold was the standard across the globe from the time of Alexander and Assyrians, Rome and Carthage, the western states, etc. The Indians pitched tents on Last Chance Gulch, one of the largest gold deposits in the world....and had no clue.

So isolated were the North American Indians. They were skilled in a canoe and other small boats....but not seafaring and thus....isolated.

Lewis and Clark encounter depravity, poverty, and starvation. The Indians do have horses....but little else. They rely on buffalo and dog, roots during the winter months.....but many when coming to greet the two Captains.....did so naked to show how poor they were. Given trinkets and friendship medals instead, many went away insulted, back to live on top of tons of gold........in utter poverty.

Imagine indeed.....an Indian Tribe building a ship..crossing an ocean or sea....and realizing their son's rock collection is worth more than the entire ship they're sailing. isolation killed the Indians.

UncleRansom

Postby UncleRansom » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:29 am

Archer wrote:
Crepitus wrote:
Archer wrote:

Imagine a gold mine and those mining were after the rocks because they did not know what gold was.

Lol, a great many important discoveries and such have been made by accident. These people were looking for a new place to live . I think they knew what they had found.

Actually not, they did not discover anything because they did not have the same concepts of ownership and property as we do. They were here first but that does not mean it was discovered by them.

How about we agree to say nobody discovered America because it was inhabited by migrants that simply walked here?

Lewis and Clark discovered America. Knew it was there....but knew little else. It was they who staked a claim from coast to coast, they discovered and then staked claim from sea to shining sea.

Crepitus

Postby Crepitus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:25 am

Archer wrote:
Crepitus wrote:
Archer wrote:

How about we don't? Especially since Columbus "discovered" this route completely by accident. If he can discover America by accident (he actually thought this was India) then why can't they?

Crepitus

Postby Crepitus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 am

UncleRansom wrote:
Archer wrote:
Crepitus wrote:Lol, a great many important discoveries and such have been made by accident. These people were looking for a new place to live . I think they knew what they had found.

Lewis and Clark discovered America. Knew it was there....but knew little else. It was they who staked a claim from coast to coast, they discovered and then staked claim from sea to shining sea.

Stake a claim right through all the indigenous peoples homes. If there were already people living on the land I don't see how they can have discovered it.

Archer
Forum Framer

Postby Archer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:38 am

Crepitus wrote:
Archer wrote:
Crepitus wrote:Lol, a great many important discoveries and such have been made by accident. These people were looking for a new place to live . I think they knew what they had found.

How about we don't? Especially since Columbus "discovered" this route completely by accident. If he can discover America by accident (he actually thought this was India) then why can't they?

But he had intent! He found it, even if by accident,..

No matter, America was not discovered because people had already migrated here. They did not discover it because they just followed the food.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Crepitus wrote:
MisterD wrote:
Crepitus wrote:Native Americans are believed to have descended from northeast Asia, arriving over a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska some 12,000 years ago and then migrating across North and South America. My guess is they discovered America. Colonized it too.

This is what I was referring to earlier. That is not what is meant by discovery.

Why is it not a discovery when they do it, but it is when the Viking do?

I just said earlier that the Vikings did not discover America. Columbus did. I'm not saying that because I'm partial to Italians. It's simply a fact.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Crepitus wrote:
Archer wrote:

Because "they" didn't bring the Americas into contact with the rest of the world. Again, discovery does not mean "to first set eyes on".

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Peter1469 wrote:Mr. D probably would consider the Vikings to have "discovered" America either.

Not have discovered.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Peter1469 wrote:
Peter1469 wrote:Mr. D probably would consider the Vikings to have "discovered" America either.

Not have discovered.

It as clear what you meant. ;)