2.6m Anti-Semitic Tweets - in 1 year

For heated discussions, controversial opinions and rants.
Adelaide

2.6m Anti-Semitic Tweets - in 1 year

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22 am

There were 2.6 million anti-Semitic tweets on Twitter last year, with a total reach of 10 billion impressions. Of that, 19,253 of them were specifically directed at Jewish journalists—myself, and my Daily Beast colleague Sally Kohn, included. Remarkably, two-thirds of the tweets originated from just 1,600 accounts. And even more remarkably, Twitter has deleted only 21 percent of them.

These are some of the numbers from the report released Wednesday by the Anti-Defamation League, entitled “Anti-Semitic Targeting of Journalists During the 2016 Presidential Campaign.” For the first time, the report quantifies—with some significant surprises—the extent of anti-Semitic harassment online on Twitter since the rise of the Donald Trump campaign and the resurgence of the “alt-right,” specifically the period from August 2015 to July 2016.

New Report: 2.6 Million Anti-Semitic Tweets in One Year - the Daily Beast

I get that people are going to be assholes on the internet - pretty much a given. What I found shocking about this was that Twitter only deleted 21 out of 2.6m anti-Semitic tweets.

That said, I wonder exactly how they determined what was anti-Semitic. Not everyone would agree on subtle cases where blatantly derogatory language might be absent but the sentiment there; or conversely, there are some crazy people who think any speech against Israel is automatically anti-Semitic.

Sweetchuck
Moderator of the Hole

Re: 2.6m Anti-Semitic Tweets - in 1 year

Postby Sweetchuck » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am

Oi vey...
My junk is ugly

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Conservatives get banned at a higher rate.

Tahuyaman
Location: Bremerton, Washington or Sayulita, Mexico mid Nov to Late April.

Postby Tahuyaman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Unfortunately bigotry directed against certain people is tolerated.

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Tahuyaman wrote:Unfortunately bigotry directed against certain people is tolerated.

Twitter should be more careful with what they allow. For instance, I can't get over how many people post death threats. I don't think Twitter alerts law enforcement when it happens, and they should. It is startling what people post on social media, and it is startling that so little is down to control hate speech or criminality.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm

The ADL is a lot like the SPLC. Not a compliment.

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 pm

MisterD wrote:The ADL is a lot like the SPLC. Not a compliment.

My brother recently asked me how groups get the designation of "hate/extremist" group and I honestly said (and believe) that groups are more easily put on that list by groups like the SPLC when they use their 2nd Amendment rights to have firearms. I believe that is why right-wing groups seem to more easily be designated dangerous. Left-wing hate groups don't really seem to support the 2nd Amendment, nonetheless purchase or carry firearms. That doesn't mean left-wing groups aren't as dangerous, but I think groups like the SPLC are biased in this manner.

Maybe I am wrong, but that seems to be the only difference between many "dangerous" groups and those that get largely ignored by the SPLC and others.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm

To be frank, the Jews who run both organizations designate the pursuit of white interests as "extremism" and "hate". For example, all an organization needs to do is express dismay at the migration of Latinos or the demographic reality of violent crime to be considered dangerous.
Last edited by MisterD on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:50 pm

And sorry to sound like your brother but I have to keep shit real. Where's the afro smiley?

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:55 pm

MisterD wrote:And sorry to sound like your brother but I have to keep shit real. Where's the afro smiley?

Hah - there is a thread in the tech section for suggestions. I think the forum is just using a basic starter set of smilies.