Optimal nutriton

For heated discussions, controversial opinions and rants.
MisterD
Forum Framer

Optimal nutriton

Postby MisterD » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:18 pm

For a 125 pound man I think about food a lot... :lol:

Anyway, I see no value in supplements (save for Vitamin D from November through March). I am convinced that if one eats the right kinds of foods it is a fairly simple matter to get all the nutrients you need and then some. I am blessed in that I've really taken to whole grains and that my loves include garlic and hot peppers. For me, they're like fat and richness are to other folks. That said, your average person has an inadequate diet and would benefit from supplements especially a "one a day" type vitamin supplement. I have whole grain toast (real whole grains not the fake crap) and fat free milk for breakfast at work but I see people eat breakfasts that are very low in vitamin content. A bagel, for example, is fortified with a few B Vitamins. It's the same thing at lunch. French fries, chicken fingers, white rice...ugh. There very little nutrition in in stuff like that.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Re: Optimal nutriton

Postby Peter1469 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:04 am

I agree that people who are healthy should be able to get most if not all of their nutrients out of their diet. But most people are not all that healthy and likely need a supplement.

For most people who are in the almost healthy category, a quality multivitamin should do. And vitamin D as you recommend above.

If they have serious health issues they likely need to supplement based on specific nutrients.

Sweetchuck
Moderator of the Hole

Postby Sweetchuck » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:37 am

Supplements are for people who want to feel like they're doing the right thing.

If it looks too much like a shortcut then it's probanly bunk.
My junk is ugly

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Sweetchuck wrote:Supplements are for people who want to feel like they're doing the right thing.

If it looks too much like a shortcut then it's probanly bunk.

If you know you could be making better choices it's worth doing. I can't believe some of the shit I see called lunch.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Peter1469 wrote:I agree that people who are healthy should be able to get most if not all of their nutrients out of their diet. But most people are not all that healthy and likely need a supplement.

For most people who are in the almost healthy category, a quality multivitamin should do. And vitamin D as you recommend above.

If they have serious health issues they likely need to supplement based on specific nutrients.

A large part of the problem is simply popular tastes. The foods are there but people don't eat them.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:56 pm

MisterD wrote:
Peter1469 wrote:I agree that people who are healthy should be able to get most if not all of their nutrients out of their diet. But most people are not all that healthy and likely need a supplement.

A large part of the problem is simply popular tastes. The foods are there but people don't eat them.

That is true also.

I should have mentioned, vegans really must supplement. Vegetarians should unless they are very careful.

It is also good for people on strict diets.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:06 pm

Peter1469 wrote:
MisterD wrote:

That is true also.

I should have mentioned, vegans really must supplement. Vegetarians should unless they are very careful.

It is also good for people on strict diets.

True. yeah, anyone on a seriously restricted diet ought to take a supplement.

Archer
Forum Framer

Postby Archer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Fish! Fiber! Greens! Natural starches!

A decent diet is all that is needed along with a checkup from time to time.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:25 pm

I think the humble potato has gotten a bad wrap. This partly because of the low carb fad but it's also linked to the fact that people tend to add a great deal of fat and salt to potatoes regardless of their form (mashed, baked, or fried). I've been eating a lot of potatoes.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:47 am

I add a little butter, but a good bit of salt (sea). I do like potatoes now and then. They are, clearly, high in carbs, so when I need to lose some weight I do cut them out along with dairy. I tend to lose weight really fast that way.