Optimal nutriton

For heated discussions, controversial opinions and rants.
Common
Forum Framer

Re: Optimal nutriton

Postby Common » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:22 am

My wife and I eat well, we eat as nutritionally as we can. We eat a variety of foods. The problem is no one can know if you are getting everything you need from what you eat, no matter how you eat. Especially as you age your body stops producing in enough quantity what it did when you are younger.

If you pick up a good multi vitamin and look at all the ingredients. If you are honest there MANY that you have no clue if you are getting through your food intake.

My wife and I take a high quality Men and Womens Senior Multi and vitamin D. I take 2,000 mgs per day. I believe taking a good quality mulit is good insurance.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 am

Peter1469 wrote:I add a little butter, but a good bit of salt (sea). I do like potatoes now and then. They are, clearly, high in carbs, so when I need to lose some weight I do cut them out along with dairy. I tend to lose weight really fast that way.

Your average baked potato only has about 100 calories. I add a little butter (if I have it) and hot sauce which usually contains salt.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:28 am

Common wrote:My wife and I eat well, we eat as nutritionally as we can. We eat a variety of foods. The problem is no one can know if you are getting everything you need from what you eat, no matter how you eat. Especially as you age your body stops producing in enough quantity what it did when you are younger.

If you pick up a good multi vitamin and look at all the ingredients. If you are honest there MANY that you have no clue if you are getting through your food intake.

My wife and I take a high quality Men and Womens Senior Multi and vitamin D. I take 2,000 mgs per day. I believe taking a good quality mulit is good insurance.

It's true that as you age your needs change but, as for now, eating highly fortified foods and taking vitamins is a waste and may be a net negative. I can tell some excess nutrients are being flushed out of my body.

Common
Forum Framer

Postby Common » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:36 pm

MisterD wrote:
Common wrote:My wife and I eat well, we eat as nutritionally as we can. We eat a variety of foods. The problem is no one can know if you are getting everything you need from what you eat, no matter how you eat. Especially as you age your body stops producing in enough quantity what it did when you are younger.

It's true that as you age your needs change but, as for now, eating highly fortified foods and taking vitamins is a waste and may be a net negative. I can tell some excess nutrients are being flushed out of my body.

What works for me doesnt have to be right for you. You know yourself and what you need. Aging does change the equasion.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Common wrote:
MisterD wrote:

What works for me doesnt have to be right for you. You know yourself and what you need. Aging does change the equasion.

No doubt.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:35 pm

I think it is highly individualized based on a lot of factors.

I do think that a lot of people spend much more than they need to. I don't think that many are hurting themselves.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:01 pm

I saw an interesting article Does eating fat make you fat?

It does talk about how carbs are processed different and how fat can help you lose weight - assuming you are eating the right type.

Does eating fat make you fat? This doctor says no.

That was the problem with Adkins. Others after him used his diet but with the good fats.

What healthy fats can do, Hyman wrote in his forthcoming book, “The Eat Fat, Get Thin Cookbook,” is “shut down cravings, speed up metabolism” and “help prevent and reverse heart disease, not cause it.” He points the finger at a long-standing and misguided obsession with calories, one that demonizes fats for containing more of them than processed carbohydrates and sugars, leading to “dangerous low-fat diets.”

“The basic idea is that the quality and composition of your diet matters more than the calories,” Hyman told me. In terms of his cookbook, that means not only making sure to eat healthy fats, including “wild fatty fish (sardines, mackerel, herring, wild salmon), grass-fed meat or organic poultry (skin and fat left on), nuts and seeds, avocados, extra-virgin olive oil, and coconut oil,” but even adding fat to coffee.

In fact, Hyman’s emphasis on avoiding processed foods — “leave the food that man made and eat the food that God made,” he says — and most dairy products constitutes a hybrid of the Paleo diet and veganism, or what he calls “Pegan.”

What Hyman prescribes is for “slow carbs or non-starchy plant foods,” such as green leafy veggies, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers and bok choy, to “make up 75 percent of your plate,” along with four to six ounces of protein. The good news is that, instead of having to squeeze a lemon onto the broccoli or using some similarly low-fat condiment, you can add some EVOO or avocado to it.

Over the years I have seen conflicting advice but my conclusion basically match the last paragraph.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 pm

I do eat a lot of non-starchy pant foods but I also eat a lot of whole grains. Most of my carbs come from whole grain sources. I like my rice pudding and vanilla pudding but I'd say around 80% of my carbs aren't processed. Anyway, I agree about fat. I don't avoid fat but at the same time I don't go overboard. I tend to buy leaner cuts of meat. I'll even sift through the bacon on the grocery shelf to find the leanest package.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:48 pm

MisterD wrote:I do eat a lot of non-starchy pant foods but I also eat a lot of whole grains. Most of my carbs come from whole grain sources. I like my rice pudding and vanilla pudding but I'd say around 80% of my carbs aren't processed. Anyway, I agree about fat. I don't avoid fat but at the same time I don't go overboard. I tend to buy leaner cuts of meat. I'll even sift through the bacon on the grocery shelf to find the leanest package.

You have no reason to watch carbs. :)

When I was in basic I weighed 135. For most meals my drill sergeant would stick me next to our biggest guy- Private Lee. When we went through the chow line Drill would take the veggies off my plate and the carbs off his and switch them.

Lee also went to jump school with me. At the end of the first week (the hardest physically) the Sergeant Airborne said- "Lee, now that you made it this far we told the quarter master to get some beefed up cutes for you so you don't burn in. Yes, it was funny. (And the Drill SGT who switched our food was also in our Airborne class).

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Peter1469 wrote:
MisterD wrote:I do eat a lot of non-starchy pant foods but I also eat a lot of whole grains. Most of my carbs come from whole grain sources. I like my rice pudding and vanilla pudding but I'd say around 80% of my carbs aren't processed. Anyway, I agree about fat. I don't avoid fat but at the same time I don't go overboard. I tend to buy leaner cuts of meat. I'll even sift through the bacon on the grocery shelf to find the leanest package.

You have no reason to watch carbs. :)

When I was in basic I weighed 135. For most meals my drill sergeant would stick me next to our biggest guy- Private Lee. When we went through the chow line Drill would take the veggies off my plate and the carbs off his and switch them.

Lee also went to jump school with me. At the end of the first week (the hardest physically) the Sergeant Airborne said- "Lee, now that you made it this far we told the quarter master to get some beefed up cutes for you so you don't burn in. Yes, it was funny. (And the Drill SGT who switched our food was also in our Airborne class).

Well, remember when I was saying someone who eats well can adequately meet of of his nutritional needs? I don't think that would be quite so easy without whole grains.