Optimal nutriton

For heated discussions, controversial opinions and rants.
Peter1469
Forum Framer

Re: Optimal nutriton

Postby Peter1469 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:57 pm

WAPO had an interesting article today about smart eating strategies.

How to eat for an energy boost

It discusses picking "slow carbs" - not starchy carbs. Eating more smaller meals. Only using supplements where your diet is lacking. Getting enough sleep and more.

There is a list of specific foods for specific nutrients as well.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:40 am

Peter1469 wrote:WAPO had an interesting article today about smart eating strategies.

How to eat for an energy boost

It discusses picking "slow carbs" - not starchy carbs. Eating more smaller meals. Only using supplements where your diet is lacking. Getting enough sleep and more.

There is a list of specific foods for specific nutrients as well.

Most of that seems true from my experience. Not sure of any distinction between starchy carbs and "slow carbs" because legumes, for example are starchy as hell.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:03 pm

Slow carbs refers to those low on the glycemic index- starchy carbs are for the most part on the higher end. The higher on the GI scale the faster they are digested and that spikes your blood sugar. Fibrous carbs are on the lower end, although some are fairly high.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:27 pm

http://nypost.com/2017/01/31/eating-vegetable-oils-could-lead-to-fatigue-migraines-and-dementia/

Here is a nutrition warning about vegetable oils. Growing up my mom always used vegetable oils. When I moved out and started to cook for myself I used olive oil and sometimes coconut oil. Much better for you.

In the middle of the 20th century, concerned by the growing heart-attack epidemic, Americans ditched butter and other saturated fats in favor of vegetable oils.

According to Dr. Catherine Shanahan, author of the new book “Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food” (Flatiron Books, out now), that was a fatal mistake.

Shanahan — a family physician based in Denver with a degree in biochemistry and genetics — has built a career around bucking the nutritional norm. Unlike many doctors and dieticians who suggest diets packed with fruits and vegetables, Shanahan recommends an eating plan based on animal fats and proteins, along with traditional healthy foods such as vegetables and nuts.

She began her career practicing medicine and studying traditional diets in Hawaii, and gained a fan in Kobe Bryant. She overhauled his diet, taking out vegetable oils and sugar and adding in foods such as bone broth, and went on to became the director of the Lakers’ nutrition program, a position she still holds. With the release of “Deep Nutrition,” she’s made it her mission to get Americans to ditch vegetable oils — or, in her words, “your brain’s worst enemy.”

Common
Forum Framer

Postby Common » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:05 am

There is a new study and subsequent TV ads out, stating that Corn Oil is better for your heart than Olive Oil. The study says corn oil has more of the good things that help your heart than olive oil.

Heavily funded studies that keep researchers employed create skewed results. The ever changing information eminating from these studies should show that.

All the do is keep you confused as to what the truth is. My father didnt read anything, my father didnt listen to anyone. My father never ate anything green he hated vegetables, the only fruit he ever ate was bananas, he smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for over 70 yrs and lived to be 3 days shy of 90

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Some people have good genes. I have heard of very heavy drinkers never having elevated liver enzymes well into the 70s and 80s. That is a small number of people of course.

I can't see corn oil as being healthier than olive oil or other oils such as coconut. I suspect the corn lobby commissioned that study.

I do know you should not use olive oil with high heat- it oxidizes easy, and that isn't good for you.

valleyranch

Postby valleyranch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Greetings, As to getting all we need from a "well rounded diet" :

There is a: Doctor Joel Wallach, who believes and says: When we stopped burning wood to cook our food and heat our homes, we lost nearly 100 vitamins and minerals. He points that a plant need only 3 minerals to grow, look good and produce fine looking fruit, but we need close to 100 which we at one time got from our vegetables. That when we stopped spreading wood ASH into our soil, these were no longer in our fruit or veggies.

Sounds good and true to me, I think of that each time I carry out the ash. What do you think?

You can find videos and discussions with Dr. Wallach and articles slandering him on google if you've interest.

valleyranch

Postby valleyranch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Here is a paper by Dr. Wallach

Your Right to Know
It’s generally known that folic acid plays a crucial role in preventing certain birth defects. But did you know the Food and Drug Administration had to be SUED before folic acid proponents could state those claims? That’s right, the FDA did not want these claims to be freely disseminated! The FDA had to be SUED, and the courts agreed that this information should be allowed to be given to the public. Since these claims were allowed by the courts, neural tube defects have declined by 50-70% in the US and parts of Canada! Just think of the many thousands of children born healthy that would not have been without the dissemination of this information!

I believe that the public is better off by getting more information to better come to an educated decision regarding its own health. The FDA, however, believes the public’s access to health information should be limited to what the FDA allows, which is quite limited.

There are hundreds of beneficial nutrients and many of them have multiple beneficial effects for the human body. But in order for this information to be made available to you, many more battles with the FDA have to belodged. So far, my colleagues and I have been successful in authorizing claims having to do with reducing the risk of certain cancers by consuming the Trace Mineral Selenium and reducing the risks of Cardiovascular Heart Disease (CHD) by consuming EPA and DHA which are Essential Fatty Acids primarily found in Fish Oils. CHD is this country’s leading cause of death! More than 500,000 Americans die each year from it. Just think if we could reduce the occurrence of these deaths by 50-70% simply by educating the public!

Is the cost of these battles worth it? I certainly think so. You have a fundamental right to ALL of the information you need to make decisions regarding your health. My colleagues and I have more Authorized Claims under consideration by the FDA and there will be more!

signatureYour Right to Know
It’s generally known that folic acid plays a crucial role in preventing certain birth defects. But did you know the Food and Drug Administration had to be SUED before folic acid proponents could state those claims? That’s right, the FDA did not want these claims to be freely disseminated! The FDA had to be SUED, and the courts agreed that this information should be allowed to be given to the public. Since these claims were allowed by the courts, neural tube defects have declined by 50-70% in the US and parts of Canada! Just think of the many thousands of children born healthy that would not have been without the dissemination of this information!

I believe that the public is better off by getting more information to better come to an educated decision regarding its own health. The FDA, however, believes the public’s access to health information should be limited to what the FDA allows, which is quite limited.

There are hundreds of beneficial nutrients and many of them have multiple beneficial effects for the human body. But in order for this information to be made available to you, many more battles with the FDA have to belodged. So far, my colleagues and I have been successful in authorizing claims having to do with reducing the risk of certain cancers by consuming the Trace Mineral Selenium and reducing the risks of Cardiovascular Heart Disease (CHD) by consuming EPA and DHA which are Essential Fatty Acids primarily found in Fish Oils. CHD is this country’s leading cause of death! More than 500,000 Americans die each year from it. Just think if we could reduce the occurrence of these deaths by 50-70% simply by educating the public!

Is the cost of these battles worth it? I certainly think so. You have a fundamental right to ALL of the information you need to make decisions regarding your health. My colleagues and I have more Authorized Claims under consideration by the FDA and there will be more!

Dr. Wallach

http://thewallachfiles.com/

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:34 pm

valleyranch wrote:Greetings, As to getting all we need from a "well rounded diet" :

There is a: Doctor Joel Wallach, who believes and says: When we stopped burning wood to cook our food and heat our homes, we lost nearly 100 vitamins and minerals. He points that a plant need only 3 minerals to grow, look good and produce fine looking fruit, but we need close to 100 which we at one time got from our vegetables. That when we stopped spreading wood ASH into our soil, these were no longer in our fruit or veggies.

Sounds good and true to me, I think of that each time I carry out the ash. What do you think?

You can find videos and discussions with Dr. Wallach and articles slandering him on google if you've interest.

Where I grew up people added wood ash to their gardens. We did.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Re: RE: Re: Optimal nutriton

Postby Peter1469 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Cthulhu wrote:
Peter1469 wrote:
valleyranch wrote:Greetings, As to getting all we need from a "well rounded diet" :

Where I grew up people added wood ash to their gardens. We did.

I do that when I garden as well. I also put animal guts in there when I butcher as well.

Fear profits a man nothing.

There are a lot of good nutrients in the animal guts. Any problem with it attracting rodents?