I guess this is a rant about the schools

For heated discussions, controversial opinions and rants.
Archer
Forum Framer

I guess this is a rant about the schools

Postby Archer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Some may know but anywho...

My employment situation is a little screwed up. I work for me and that is because my son has a disability that the school systems can not seem to get a grip on. He is on the autism spectrum but he is treated like a bad kid. He can read and write (well below where he should be), simple math in the past (they have not asked him to do any for at least a year) but lacks social skills.

To make this short, I am expecting a call about a normal job in an engineering department and now he comes home today, suspended for three days! How in the hell?

My son could do much better but the system seems to want him to go away! Because he can walk and talk and is pretty smart (smart as in figuring things out that many adults can not, think TV/PC/DVD..). He does have the potential of living a normal life, within limits.

So anywho some students that will probably never be able to take care of themselves can have one on one, after school programs in home aid,..

Man this crap is expensive in unearned monies! I have had to leave jobs a couple of times and now this. this is getting real old!

Archer
Forum Framer

Re: I guess this is a rant about the schools

Postby Archer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:57 pm

By the time we can both work a regular job it may have cost us over 1,000,000 dollars.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:35 pm

That sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't have kids, so I can't offer any decent advice.

MisterD
Forum Framer

Postby MisterD » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:08 pm

I had similar troubles in school, Archer. I'm on the spectrum and I was generally disliked by the administration. I turned out well in terms of character and potential. I'm sure your son will too. Sux that it costs you so much though.

Archer
Forum Framer

Postby Archer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Oh it is our cross to bear and we are happy to do it but sometimes it just helps to let off a little steam.

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:21 am

I have a friend who has 2 daughters that both have autism. It has been a nightmare for them to try and get proper aid in their school and then additional complications with occupational therapy. They managed to get an aid but she was apparently completely inept and then spent like 2 years trying to get permission to a new aid.

It seems very difficult for families. The system certainly makes it harder. I wish I had some kind of suggestion or advice but I hope you work everything out.

Archer
Forum Framer

Postby Archer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:50 am

Adelaide wrote:I have a friend who has 2 daughters that both have autism. It has been a nightmare for them to try and get proper aid in their school and then additional complications with occupational therapy. They managed to get an aid but she was apparently completely inept and then spent like 2 years trying to get permission to a new aid.

It seems very difficult for families. The system certainly makes it harder. I wish I had some kind of suggestion or advice but I hope you work everything out.

i will just get back to jewelry design, graphic design, web design and consulting... Pick up a few more certifications and finish up that masters I was working on.

If you do not stay active it hurts future opportunities. The good news is I get great references from known regional entities and a couple of political people..

The bad news is, it does not help my son. Time to go full on into my own business.