Pharmacy to be Sued in Death of 8 year old

Current events and latest news topics.
Adelaide

Pharmacy to be Sued in Death of 8 year old

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 am

Eight-year-old Andrew Sheldrick went to bed on Saturday, March 12, after his mom gave him what she thought was his usual dose of medication for a sleep disorder. When his dad went to wake him in the morning, he found the boy dead.

"They did let us know that there was no amount of intervention that could have saved him. He had been gone for several hours by the time we found him," Andrew's mom, Melissa Sheldrick told Go Public.

For four and a half months, the family didn't know what caused Andrew's death.

Then in late July, a coroner's report concluded Andrew had not taken Tryptophan, the sleep medication he'd been prescribed, but Baclofen, a muscle relaxant drug used to treat muscle spasms caused by conditions such as multiple sclerosis.

Parents find son's lifeless body after pharmacy switches sleep medication for toxic dose of another drug - CBC News

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Re: Pharmacy to be Sued in Death of 8 year old

Postby Peter1469 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Mistakes in hospitals are the 3rd leading cause of death in the US. I don't think that includes independent pharmacies.

3rd leading cause of deat

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Peter1469 wrote:Mistakes in hospitals are the 3rd leading cause of death in the US. I don't think that includes independent pharmacies.

3rd leading cause of deat

Pharmacies are typically much more reliable. They know their one area - pharmacology. Physicians are expected to know about all sorts of bodily systems, diagnostics, and treatments including pharmacology. That is why when anyone asks for medical advice I most often suggest asking their pharmacist. It's free to ask the pharmacist at CVS, for example, and they always know more about what you can or should take based on what you already take or what conditions you have or allergies. Even if you get a prescription from a physician for something, always double check with your pharmacist about whether you should take it or if the pharmacist should ask the physician about an alternative.

Mixing up medications in a pharmacy setting is not common. Pharmacists are the last line between patient and pharmaceutical treatment and they are very good at knowing when something is wrong. There should be criminal liability for what happened in this case, and not just civil liability.

publius

Postby publius » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Its not but I also wonder if the prescription itself was handwritten. (Is it still done that way?) ..... When I worked at a local pharmacy as a kid, I noted the atrocious penmanship of many physicicians.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm

They do that because they think it helps protect them in future litigation. It isn't true. But they still do it.

Adelaide

Postby Adelaide » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 am

Peter1469 wrote:They do that because they think it helps protect them in future litigation. It isn't true. But they still do it.

That's not the reason. Similar to a police officer who keeps a book on them to document information, physicians write down notes using a particular shorthand. Having worked for a specialty pharmacy, it's easy to read the writing when you do it every day. Rarely do you have to contact the doctor for clarification. Even ER notes, which are dreadful to the untrained eye, are not impossible to read if you know the acronyms, medical terminology and frequently read the writing of physicians. Most ER notes are followed by a 2-3 page document written by a resident (not always the person who saw you) who uses the weird shorthand to write an official report. Basically, it's readable if you read it every day - and pharmacists do.

If anything, a physician would not want their prescriptions to be unreadable because it could lead to lawsuits and it would do the opposite of protecting them. But, they scratch them off using the same shorthand used for everything else. I actually use the shorthand and acronyms when I fill out forms for doctors, dentists, so forth.

Crepitus

Postby Crepitus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:55 am

Stories like this terrify me. My special little guy takes half a pharmacy every day.

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:45 am

I have been called a shaman by some- I think the naturopaths are on the right track for general health matters. Western medicine is great if you break your leg.

Common
Forum Framer

Postby Common » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I recently was in the hospital, they ran test after test on me, they told me I had clogged arteries n my legs. I had high blood pressure, which I NEVER HAD, they told me I had stage 3 kidney disease along with what I really had.
I left the hospital went to my own dr and she told me emphatically that I have NONE of the above. They were pumping the bill up to keep me there as long as they could.

Id like to note that this hospital unknown to me was recently bought by the same hospiital corporation who paid a 300,000,000 fine for defrauding medicare and insurances. Ran by rick scott no gov of fla.

Any parent that does not VERIFY what pill he she is putting in the childs mouth is a criminal. Always verify what you are given at the pharmacy, you can check the numbers color and markings online for regular and generic medications.

On a side note, question you cant quote a post here ?

Peter1469
Forum Framer

Postby Peter1469 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:05 pm

You can quote. See the symbol at the far upper right of the post.